Monday, January 15, 2007

I am a Genius!



One of my personal favorite movies is the 1972 mystery film Sleuth. It is based on a famous two-man Broadway play by Anthony Schaffer and stars Laurence Olivier and a Michael Caine as two men trying to "one-up" each other in a series of games involving wit, intelligence and a little bit of crime. It's a wonderfully fun mystery filled with lots of twists and turns. Both actors received an Oscar nomination for their performances.

Now, for the part where my genius becomes apparent.

For a long time I have been saying that they should do a remake of Sleuth, but Michael Caine should now play the older role (the part played originally by Olivier) and the younger part cane be played by the actor who is more or less the "young Michael Caine of today" Jude Law. I thought this was anexxcellent idea and I have told many people about it over the years.

When I saw this news item on the IMDB today, I nearly fell off my chair:

Kenneth Branagh will direct Michael Caine and Jude Law in a remake of the classic movie SLEUTH. Caine, who played Milo Tindle in the 1972 thriller will play co-star Laurence Olivier's part in the remake - adapted from Anthony Shaffer's play by Harold Pinter - while Law will take on Caine's original role. It's the first time Law, who is also co-producing the remake with Branagh, and Caine have worked together, although both British actors have played love rat Alfie on the big screen. Production on the film will begin later this month at Twickenham Studios in London. SLEUTH tells the story of a wealthy author and his efforts to outwit an out-of-work actor (Law) who is having an affair with the writer's wife in the rooms and corridors of his exquisitely modernized Georgian manor.

Not only does this development speak rather highly of me but it reflects very well on Branagh too since he is the one who decided to actually undertake the project. I could only wish for it to happen. Branagh has made it happen. This is a film which I am very much looking forward to seeing. :)

3 comments:

Tucker said...

When I see you at a distance I always point and say, "See that guy, he's a genuis." So I'm not surprised!

I look forward this the new version coming out. I've always liked the original. I think they made a great choice for the cast - I'm sure Michael Caine had something to do with the new version getting made and Jude Law being chosen. I'm fascinated that the play has been adapted for screen by Harold Pinter. Reminds me of T. Stoppard adapting Chekov (The Seagull) for modern audiences (Dan P. was in that version recently at Lord Leebrick).

Damian Arlyn said...

When I see you at a distance I always point and say, "See that guy, he's a genuis." So I'm not surprised!

That's funny. I say the same thing about you!

I look forward this the new version coming out. I've always liked the original. I think they made a great choice for the cast -

Agreed on all points.

I'm sure Michael Caine had something to do with the new version getting made and Jude Law being chosen.

Hmmm. You could be right.

I'm fascinated that the play has been adapted for screen by Harold Pinter. Reminds me of T. Stoppard adapting Chekov (The Seagull) for modern audiences.

Or when David Mamet adapted "Uncle Vanya" for that great Louis Malle film Vanya on 42nd Street.

Tucker said...

ah yes, Vanya on 42nd Street, I love that film. Thanks for reminding me.