Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"Name That Shot" Winner & Answers

Well, I may not have been "flooded" with a whole host of responses to my screenshot quiz, but I did receive what I thought was a decent amount of answers reminding me, once again, that there actually are people out there reading this blog. Some contributors e-mailed me their guesses while others posted them in the comments section (incidentally, I would like it in the future if everyone could e-mail them to me so that we don't run the risk of anyone "cheating," i.e. reading other people's guesses and incorporating them into their own). At any rate, the winner is Gonzalo Jimenez who got 20 out of 25. Good job, Gonzalo!

Here are the answers:


1. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968) - Classic film. Clasic image. I don't think anyone got this one wrong.

2. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) - James Anderson's portrayal of Bob Ewell used to enrage and terrify me as a youngster. To this day I'm unsure as to whether Gregory Peck's Atticus Finch was really so noble, heroic and righteous as he seemed or whether it was because he played opposite such a despicable character.

3. UNFAITHFUL (2002) - This was, in my opinion, one of the most under-appreciated films the year it came out. It garnered an Oscar nomination for Diane Lane but it deserved much more.

4. DAYS OF HEAVEN (1978) - Two films starring Richard Gere in a row. Didn't plan that, of course, but Terry Malick's Days of Heaven is such a beautiful, lyrical work that I felt compelled to feature something from it.

5. ROAD TO PERDITION (2002) - The last film shot by the great Conrad Hall and the work that won him his third Oscar (though by the time of the ceremony he had passed away, so his son, a talented cinematographer in his own right, accepted the award).

6. BRAZIL (1985) - "This is a professional relationship." Creepy. Creepy. Creepy.

7. BEING THERE (1979) - This one might be a bit of a spoiler but it is one of my all-time favorite final shots of any film, so I had to include it.

8. THE AVENGERS (1998) - I didn't think anybody was going to get this one as I figured I was the only person in the world who actually saw this movie (I was certainly the only one in the theatre when it was released). Great visuals. Little else.

9. THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (1955) - One of the few Hitchcock films I haven't seen. Very funny shot though.

10. KUNG FU HUSTLE (2004) - Ourageous flick. Looking forward to the sequel.

11. INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE (1994) - Always loved this image. I remember getting unnerved by it when I first saw it in the trailer.

12. TRON (1982) - Another one I don't think anybody missed.

13. CITIZEN KANE (1941) - One person tried to get on my good side by guessing Schindler's List for this one.

14. YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (1985) - Before Harry, Ron and Hermione there was Holmes, Watson and Elizabeth. Wonderful movie from my childhood with fantastic Oscar-nominated special effects (including this stained-glass knight, one of the first photo-realistic CG images used in a movie).

15. THE VERDICT (1982) - Great opening shot of a great movie.

16. DR. STRANGELOVE (1964) - "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

17. THE NAME OF THE ROSE (1986) - One of many bizarre characters to be found in this darkly atmospheric mystery featuring Sean Connery as a medieval detective.

18. "M" (1931) - My pick for Frtiz Lang's best movie.

19. TOOTSIE (1982) - One of my favorite films. I love how the woman holding the cake and singing "Happy Birthday" to Dustin Hoffman blows out two of the candles in the process.

20. PLEASANTVILLE (1998) - I thought for sure that the house being in black-and-white while the flames were in color would give this one away.

21. MEET THE PARENTS (2000) - I still think this is one of the funniest situational comedies of the past ten years.

22. PASSAGE TO INDIA (1984) - David Lean's last picture.

23. SIGNS (2002) - Arguably the best and most memorable scene in movie history involving a family listening to alien communications on a baby monitor.

24. MANHATTAN (1979) - Another one of my favorite films. God, Mariel Hemingway is so beautiful here.

25. THE HUDSUCKER PROXY (1994) - The first Coen brothers movie I ever saw, the beginning of a love affair that continues to this day.

So, that does it for this round of "Name That Shot." Thank you to everyone who participated. I will do another one of these eventually but it'll have to wait until after the Filmmusic Blog-a-thon (which, incidentally, is this week) because that is no doubt going to keep me rather busy through the weekend.

8 comments:

J.J. said...

Unfaithful, yes! The Verdict, yes! How'd you get those perfect little screenshots?

Damian Arlyn said...

I got them from this site here (which I find sometimes comes in very handy).

Mr. Peel aka Peter Avellino said...

Sorry about that. I'll email them next time. But I guess I'm one of the few who got The Avengers.

Damian Arlyn said...

It's okay, Mr. Peel. Your name alone should've convinced me you'd get that one.

One person said it was Toys. I thought that was a good guess.

L. Rob Hubb said...

Well, THE AVENGERS also had a good score by Joel McNeely...

That and the visuals are the only recommendations for sitting through it.

Damian Arlyn said...

Well, THE AVENGERS also had a good score by Joel McNeely...

You are correct, sir. In fact, I actually own the soundtrack to The Avengers and I love it. I just haven't listened to it in so long that I guess I forgot (not a good way to start off the "Filmmusic blog-a-thon").

hanly said...

Blu Ray Converter
Convert Blu Ray Mac
Convert Blu Ray to AVI
Convert Blu Ray to DivX
Convert Blu Ray to MKV
Convert Blu Ray to MOV
Convert Blu Ray to MP4
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG2
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG4
Convert Blu Ray to VOB
Convert Blu Ray to WMV
Convert Blu Ray to Xvid
Convert Blu Ray to HD
Convert Blu Ray to HD WMV
Convert Blu Ray to iPod
Convert Blu Ray to PS3
Convert Blu Ray to PSP
Convert Blu Ray to Xbox360

hanly said...

Blu Ray Converter
Convert Blu Ray Mac
Convert Blu Ray to AVI
Convert Blu Ray to DivX
Convert Blu Ray to MKV
Convert Blu Ray to MOV
Convert Blu Ray to MP4
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG2
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG4
Convert Blu Ray to VOB
Convert Blu Ray to WMV
Convert Blu Ray to Xvid
Convert Blu Ray to HD
Convert Blu Ray to HD WMV
Convert Blu Ray to iPod
Convert Blu Ray to PS3
Convert Blu Ray to PSP
Convert Blu Ray to Xbox360