Tuesday, June 26, 2007

After the Music

Well, the Filmmusic Blog-a-thon has officially ended (although, as I said before, I will accept late entries if a few people still wish to contribute something) and to say that I am very pleased with the results would be the understatement of the decade. Even with another blog-a-thon happening this same weekend, the reaction of the blogosphere was overwhelming, well beyond what I expected it to be. In all honesty, I didn’t know, when I decided six months ago to host this event here at Windmills, whether the subject of filmmusic (which greatly appealed to me personally) would even interest anyone else. In the ensuing months, I began to get encouraged by the number of people who expressed a desire to participate, but never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate such an incredible response. With over thirty bloggers contributing posts (some more than one) on a wide variety of themes and ideas (but all of them revolving around the topic of music in film) I have become further convinced that music truly is the universal language.

There were entries in which people described one of their favorite film scores/composers, entries where people analyzed specific aspects of scoring of a film, entries where people listed favorite songs/soundtracks and even some self-proclaimed “non-filmmusic fans” managed to find something to write about. Since I’ve really only had time to skim the contributions so far, I would like eventually to sit down and read every single post in intimate detail and then reply to everyone who participated. It may take a while (especially with the 31 Days of Spielberg project still keeping me busy as well as my own personal list of 100 greatest films I’m working on as a response to the AFI's list and Ed Copeland's list) but I do plan to.

Hosting this blog-a-thon has been a tremendous amount of fun, as well as a great learning experience, and someday in the distant future (if/when I find another subject which I am as passionate about and inspired by as filmmusic) I’ll host another one. For right now, however, I want to just bask in the enormous success of this one. I also want to extend a big heartfelt “Thank you” to everyone who joined in on my "crusade" to get more dialogue going about music in movies. I am truly grateful and appreciative of your efforts. I couldn’t have done this without you. All of you.

No comments: