Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Charlie Don't Surf!"

As I wrote in my post "Why Windmills?" where I explained the origin behind my blog's name (and the multiple meanings it has for me), I have since come up with several other, and possibly superior, apellations. "Are Women Magic?" from Truffaut's Day For Night is one that I have seriously considered as an option and just today, in a conversation with a customer at the video store, I was reminded of yet another one: "Charlie Don't Surf."

Like Windmills Of My Mind, there could be a couple different ideas behind "Charlie." The most obvious one is that it is a quote from Apocalypse Now, one of my favorite films, but it also sounds as if it were an entreaty for whoever makes their way onto this blog to stick around and check out what I've written thus far ("Hey, don't surf the net anymore, Charlie. Rest here for a while."). Of course, I would have to amend the punctuation for it to literally take that on that meaning ("Charlie, Don't Surf!") but I probably wouldn't do that.

Anyway, I'm not trying to indicate that I'll be doing away with Windmills anytime soon because I have no plans to do so. I tend to feel that once you've selected a name for something you should stick with it (no offense intended, Shamus) but if I ever should decide to change my blog title, I at least have a few of decent alternatives.

10 comments:

Joe said...

Those are both brilliant alternatives. The only issue with Are Women Magic? is that it might not be obvious to many people what your blog was about based on the title alone.

Charlie Don't Surf is %*@)! awesome and self-explanatory.

I've been visiting for a few weeks now and really like your take on movies and pop culture, Damian. When I come here, I always feel like I'm renting movies from the library, as opposed to a video store or Netflix, if that makes sense.

Joe
This Distracted Globe

Adam Ross said...

Obligatory: I have a few suggestions.

Damian Arlyn said...

Joe:

First of all, thank you for the kind words. I happen to think you are absolutely right. In fact, one of the things that actually appealed to me about "Are Women Magic?" is its relative obscurity as far as movie quotes go. One would have to be more than just a casual movie-lover to get the reference (just as one has to be more than a casual Shakespeare fan to get your "Distracted globe").

I am glad that you are enjoying my blog and I hope you can continue to do so. I am sorry that my postings have become a bit shorter and more infrequent in recent weeks, but that's because my "31 Days of Spielberg" project is keeping me rather busy.


Adam:

I have a confession to make... I saw your list back when you first posted it, but never fully read your it. I browsed a few titles (and certainly liked what I saw) but the fiercely independent streak in me wanted to know that if I ever did decide to change my blog name, I could come up with a good one on my own and not just take from someone else's list. Sorry. :(

I still think your intent was most admirable and your list incredibly impressive. Incidentally, you don't happen to know whether eeither of my current two options were on it, do you?

Adam Ross said...

Oh by all means choose your own name, it's just that I just wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't leave a comment like that on a post like this. Like lottery tickets, my post was meant for entertainment value only.

And yes your choices are wholly original and I'm particularly fond of "Are Women Magic?"

Damian Arlyn said...

Well, I appreciate that, Adam. Thanks! :)

Tucker said...

personally I like "What's the rumpus?" from Miller's Crossing. But that's just me.

Damian Arlyn said...

That's a good one too, Tuck. Unfortunately, it's already been taken.

Of course, so has Windmills of My Mind. I just didn't know it at the time.

Tucker said...

figures

Anonymous said...

The devaluation of the fiesta Gold grows faster than we think of it. I hope it is reflects to the management department about the question of the fiesta money.It is caused by the continuous influx of fiesta online gold market currencies. On the other hand, buy fiesta Gold is one of these questions. The fiesta online money is one of the causes.
So to have a good attack, you should level your skill in cabal online alz. Also, get the highest level jewelry that you can equip in thecabal alz. This step depends on your skill rank, for lower magic ranks get 4 fast notice arrow skills and your cabal gold. Of course, if you have more cabal money, you can get more in the game. By the way, you can buy pet from other players in buy cabal alz.

hanly said...

Blu Ray Converter
Convert Blu Ray Mac
Convert Blu Ray to AVI
Convert Blu Ray to DivX
Convert Blu Ray to MKV
Convert Blu Ray to MOV
Convert Blu Ray to MP4
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG2
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG4
Convert Blu Ray to VOB
Convert Blu Ray to WMV
Convert Blu Ray to Xvid
Convert Blu Ray to HD
Convert Blu Ray to HD WMV
Convert Blu Ray to iPod
Convert Blu Ray to PS3
Convert Blu Ray to PSP
Convert Blu Ray to Xbox360